Monday, August 20, 2007

My love

The first computer I worked on was a VT100 terminal attached to a central server in the sacred server room which we could only look at from outside. We had a slot of not more than an hour to work on it. This was at my campus 7 years back. Computers really have changed a lot, and so have the interfaces and the softwares that we interact with. But a few things will never change at least for me. Top of the list I guess is Vi. I am a Vi fan. Three years of working in the industry and four years at the campus, I found Vi incredibly powerful and easy.

Some time back NB was talking about this cool dood friend of his who used to do everything imaginable in Emacs; right from writing, debugging source code to checking his mails. He said he had done a plugin which could rip out the attachment off a multi-part mail and save it to a directory which he could go look into. Emacs I believe has a lot of popularity and fan following so I thought I would give it a shot. For a month I "tried" religiously to use emacs for editing it is a good editor, but it does not beat Vi. It might be my love for Vi which hides the goodness of Emacs ;) but the fact remains that to do Emacs you really have to press a bit too many keys. One of my favourite "shortcuts" was "CTRL-x a i g" inverse-add-global-abrev [Ok Ok.... It is a pretty fancy feature... If you want to use it you have sacrifice a little bit... On the plus side you will get more flexible fingers >:)] Anyways, after a month I gave up... I am back to Vi now...

No comments: