Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A trip to remember


View Larger Map

With Dusshera holiday on Thursday, people were taking off on Friday to make the last weekend a long one. A recent vacation and an impending delivery at work precluded my further vacationing, however when AS4, AS2 & RD approached me with a plan to go biking to Jaipur I simply found it irresistible, more so because the plan was to leave Delhi Friday evening and be back on Monday for work!!

This was to be my first long distance biking experience so I was obviously excited. Beside the few "glitches" the trip was very smooth and not half as painful as T had said it would be. I have a small logging of major events that happened en-route (recorded on AS4s mobile;)).
Oct 10 2008 9:51 PM - Leave Ghaziabad after fuelling up
Oct 11 2008 1:15 AM - Have Dinner
Oct 11 2008 2:53 AM - Long tea break Baniyala Mod
Oct 11 2008 5:23 AM - Bakar Break @ Shiv villas
Oct 11 2008 7:45 AM - Check in Hotel Sarfaraz
Oct 11 2008 1:25 PM - Lunch @ Bombay Mishtan Bhandar
Oct 11 2008 7:50 PM - Visit Choki Dhani

Oct 11 2008 9:15 PM - Dinner @ Choki Dhani

Choki Dhani deserves a special mention, the place is a complete mockery of indian villages, other than the fact that guys wear ethnic clothes and there are camels and bullock carts roaming around [which, by the way are used to conduct guided 3 mins rides; And.. If you are thinking it sucks :) it does {We did take the camel ride though ;)} ] there is a guy selling popcorn, there's icecream and there is HUGE HUGE HUGE queue for meals. The experience had almost turned out to be the low-point of the trip, seeing the super long Q we had almost decided to turn around and eat at some common restaurant, when we decide that now that we had spent this much time & money to be there, might as well make the most of it. And Boy, we turned it around to make it the high-point of the trip. Random jokes about Tea being served in plastic cups and the resolution to do the Train around the organized folk dance and to get more people involved to make it look like a college disco party and the meticulously ridiculous ideas on how to make sure that we are kicked out of the place not only brought our spirits back but proved a source of entertainment to all around. When we finally managed to get our dinners served, and we did our best in amusing everyone around us, the server poured in extra ghee in my plate saying that I need to be strong like Salman Khan. And in no time, we were back to our cheerful selves [though we didnt do the Train neither did we get kicked out]
Oct 12 2008 3:51 AM - Sleep after a LOTS of senti talks
Oct 12 2008 1:30 PM - Checkout from Sarfaraz Hotel
Oct 12 2008 1:40 PM - Juice & Lunch
Oct 12 2008 2:30 PM - Photo @ Very cool hill
Oct 12 2008 3:30 PM - Fined. (I was not carrying bike papers, and yeah... I didnt have a license :) [we were not fined for that though... Lucky chance.. AS2 had JUST taken over the bike from me]
Oct 12 2008 6:30 PM - Boating @ Sili Said Lake
Oct 12 2008 7:30 PM - Reached Alwar
Oct 12 2008 9:30 PM - Dinner @ Bivadi
Oct 12 2008 11:10 PM - Reach Dhaula Kuan @ Delhi
Oct 13 2008 12:09 AM - Reach AS4s home
Oct 13 2008 12:50 AM - Back @ my home.yo yo yo

And there it was, a wonderful trip....

Well, the trip would be incomplete if I did not mention the little "glitches" we had. After a night long ride we were pretty tired and sleepy. Now those who know me would know that one thing I CANNOT resist is sleep. So when we reached Jaipur, it was almost 5 in the morning, we were on a hilly road with quite a few steep turns. I was riding, RD is behind me when suddenly RD shouts at me for not being careful, I was almost ready to ram into the railing. I am quite shocked, not knowing that I was careless but knowing that I hadnt seen the railing AT ALL... I had dozed off :) [well its not something to be happy about.. But... in retrospect it really looks funny :)] we changed seats but boy I was in such a bad shape I just couldnt keep my eyes open, I drank all the water that was there, kept sprinkling myself with water but I just couldnt manage to keep sitting straight till we reached this hotel and I dozed off at the reception and was hauled to the room :)

But as they say.. Alls well that ends well... and it did for us...

4 comments:

Kushal said...

Awesome trip man.. Too good..!!

Its a long standing desire of mine to go on a long biking trip to some place. Lets see when this materializes.. :-)

I have heard a lot about Choki Dhani and also have a desire to visit that place. But after what you have said about it, I guess its better that I spend my time in some place more worthwhile.. :-)

Raman said...

u forgot to mention:
1. Our journey began with night driving. (I was totally convinced that it ain't going to happen by the time we finally decided to leave)
2. Minor glitches included
a. You shaking while overtaking 2 truck running in parallel with almost a meter of gap
b. Dosing off while driving
c. Not applying brakes when a speed braker came on the highway.
d. Your license.

If these are MINOR glitches, then yeah it was a Smooth trip!!! :P

Anyway... woh boat wala video to ab daal sakte hain rito??

Raman said...

seems like you did mention that... MY BAD!! :)

Abhay said...

The things that made the trip so special included:
1.Hawabaazon ki hawabaazi.

2.Ur terrible biking.
Some glimpses:
i.Riding the bike at a foot's distance from the bushy divider at the speed > 80 @ night on a busy national highway.
ii.Yes the trembling of ur hands when the bike was almost sandwiched b/w two trucks.
(FYI for the above two cases AS4 realized the severity of the situation only after he came to know how much experience u've got in biking! :O :O)
iii.Superb performance on the hills(remember the up journey to the forts? :P)
iv.Extremely superb biking in the crowded market(a record of most jerks/meter on a bike).

[BTW the details are so intricate because AS4 was the pillion on all the occasions :(]

v.U sleeping as a rider as well as a pillion on the bike.(This thing is something only u can do!!)


3."THE" chowki dhani! How can i forget...the bakar in the queue.and the girls giggling over our nautanki!

4.AS2,AS4 and RD making a guy,(yes the guy who can sleep while riding a bike!) stay awake at night,followed by our senti session of bakar at that night(Most memorable ;)).

5.Sariska's cool breeze(The parle-G break!) ;)

6.Muski![please upload it and let the world see the divine expression!]

7.The "YO" pic a dhaula kuan!;)

Looking forward to another trip with u definitely not driving anything! :P
Adios!