Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kudos to open source world

I have never been a windoze fan, infact I have never really left an option to sabotage the name of M$. Having said that, I use windoze on my laptop, and though I work on a remote fedora core box, I still use windoze to check my mails, to keep my appointments, to write my documents, heck I spend 90% of my computer time on windoze. Last month I decided to change all that.

Last month AT suggested Ubuntu, and boy it works, just wonderful. OpenOffice takes care of the docs, Thunderbird totally replaces outlook, it can even setup meeting requests. Firefox & VLC obviously work just as fine on Ubuntu. Gaim/Pidgin is awesome and so is liferea & Amarok. Tomboy Notes is just the right application for me. The best part of Ubuntu is the ease with which you can install stuff, windoze should really do something about it (read cheat it and name Unified Microsoft Installer or something) to install amarok all you have to do is yum install amarok. It downloads/installs/configures the app for you, awesome, isnt it?

I tried quite a few flavours before/after Ubuntu, Fedora is difficult to configure otherwise I kind of like Fedora core. Ubuntu supports all my hardware, I was impressed with the way my wireless was automatically detected & configured. Even windows takes longer to configure!!

All in all its almost a month and the only reason I log in to Windoze is to play online pool with MS as pidgin does not support Y! Games. Kudos Open Source world. Hats off to you guys.

1 comment:

Kushal said...

Yeah, Ubuntu is certainly great. Till recently I also used to use it on my PC. But moved to Fedora due to a bad experience. Basically, I was out of Chennai for 6 months and on returning, wanted to update my desktop which was running Edgy 7.xx . But to my surprise I found that Ubuntu had stopped supporting this version. They had provided an option to upgrade the system to 8.xx online but that had already expired on April 25th!!! I tried installing the new Ubuntu through CD after downloading the ISO image but the install failed while in middle due to some arbit error. It was really painful!!!

Having said that, Ubuntu is certainly the best linux distro of recent times. But Ubuntu users must make sure to keep upgrading their system often (once every few months) to avoid expiry of the version in use.

Ubuntu is still the best!!! Hats-off to the developers...